By Stephen Arata,Madigan Haley,J. Paul Hunter,Jennifer Wicke
This number of authoritative essays represents the most recent scholarship on issues with regards to the subjects, pursuits, and kinds of English fiction, whereas chronicling its improvement in Britain from the early 18th century to the current day.
- Comprises state-of-the-art examine at present being undertaken within the box, incorporating the main salient severe tendencies and approaches
- Explores the heritage, evolution, genres, and narrative components of the English novel
- Considers the development of varied literary types – together with such genres as realism, romance, Gothic, experimental fiction, and version into film
- Includes insurance of narration, constitution, personality, and impact; shifts in serious reception to the English novel; and geographies of latest English fiction
- Features contributions from numerous wonderful and high-profile literary students, in addition to rising more youthful critics
- Includes a accomplished scholarly bibliography of serious works on and in regards to the novel to assist extra interpreting and research
Read Online or Download A Companion to the English Novel (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
Nobody who has learn Pat Conroy's novels of family members wounds and therapeutic can fail to be moved by way of their emotional charm. yet Conroy can be a massive modern American novelist who follows within the culture of Southern fiction confirmed by means of William Faulkner and Thomas Wolfe. This spouse is the 1st book-length research of his paintings.
What's the dating among feminist severe concept and literature? This publication offers with the connection among girls and writing, moms and daughters, the maternal and historical past. It addresses the questions on language, writing and the kinfolk among girls that have preoccupied the 3 so much influential French feminists and 3 vital modern British girls novelists.
Charles Baudelaire's position one of the nice poets of the Western global is undisputed, and his effect at the improvement of poetry seeing that his lifetime has been huge, immense. during this better half, essays through notable students light up Baudelaire's writing either for the lay reader and for experts. as well as a survey of his lifestyles and a research of his social context, the amount contains essays on his verse and prose, studying the extreme strength and effectiveness of his language and elegance, his exploration of intoxicants like wine and opium, and his artwork and literary feedback.
Panic Fiction explores a special physique of antebellum American women’s writing that illuminates women’s relationships to and the hyperlinks among constructing ideologies of domesticity and the formation of an American center type. among the mid-1830s and the overdue 1850s, authors akin to Hannah Lee, Catharine Sedgwick, Eliza Follen, Maria McIntosh, and Maria Cummins wrote dozens of novels and tales depicting the consequences of economic panic at the domestic and offering ideas to monetary instability.
- Martians, Morlocks and Moon Landings: How British Science Fiction Conquered The World
- The Passion of Charles Péguy: Literature, Modernity, and the Crisis of Historicism
- Lamb, Hazlitt, Keats: Great Shakespeareans: Volume IV
- John Donne – “The Flea” and Andrew Marvell – “To His Coy Mistress”: Metaphysical poetry: Virginity, sexuality and seduction in conceits
Additional info for A Companion to the English Novel (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to the English Novel (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Stephen Arata,Madigan Haley,J. Paul Hunter,Jennifer Wicke